Sulphuric AcidSulphuric acid (US spelling: sulfuric acid), also known as hydrogen sulfate, is a colourless liquid commonly used in fertiliser manufacture, oil refining, chemical synthesis and as an electrolyte in lead-acid batteries.
We are a leading UK supplier and distributor of this versatile, high-demand commodity chemical in 96% and 77% strengths, as well as a range of other custom dilutions to meet your requirements.
- Fertilisers: Primary use in the “wet method” for the production of phosphoric acid, which is used to manufacture phosphate fertilisers. These are added to the soil to improve plant growth.
- Harvesting: A solution of sulphuric acid is often sprayed on fields of potatoes before harvesting, causing the green tops to die back and blacken. This helps to dry out the stem, preventing entanglement with harvesting equipment.
Oil & Gas
- Refining: The process of refining crude oil requires the use of an acid as a catalyst. Sulphuric acid is often used for this purpose.
Textile Chemicals & Dyes
- Dyestuff solution manufacture
- Making nylon
- Engineering: Used as an acid catalyst for the conversion of cyclohexanone oxide to caprolactam.
- Metal processing: Used in large quantities by the iron and steel making industry to remove oxidation, rust and scaling from rolled sheet and billets prior to sale to the automobile and major appliances industry.
- Personal Care: Frequently the major ingredient in acidic drain cleaners used to remove grease, hair, tissue paper
Airedale Chemical: your leading UK supplier and distributor of sulphuric acid
Consisting of the sulfur, oxygen and hydrogen, sulphuric acid holds the formula H2SO4. It is an incredibly corrosive substance with a strong smell.
From fertilisers and cleaning solutions to chemical production, metal ‘pickling’ and drug production, sulphuric acid has extremely wide-ranging applications. It is a central substance in the chemical industry.
We offer sulphuric acid in a range of strengths. Two of our most popular include 96% and 77%, although we are able to facilitate orders of other strengths thanks to our own on-site dilution plant. We offer around 15 strengths in total, some other popular dilutions including 35%, 30% 28% and 20%. This includes custom strengths.
Whichever strength you’re after, we can supply it in a range of pack sizes to suit your requirements, from 25L drum to bulk transfer. With our own distribution capabilities, we can deliver quickly and securely across the UK to meet any need. Enquire today to discuss your sulphuric acid requirements.
Sulphuric acid: for fertilisers, crude oil refinery, batteries, textiles, cleaning and much more
Sulphuric acid is made by extracting sulphuric oxide gas, which is then oxidised at a high temperature to create sulphur trioxide. This is then dissolved in concentrated amounts of sulfuric acid, forming sulphuric acid fumes, which then react with water to produce further quantities of sulphuric acid.
From agriculture to engineering, textiles to cleaning and oil to chemical synthesis, sulphuric acid plays many important roles.
It is commonly used in the production of phosphoric acid for phosphate fertilisers. The acid also plays an important role in the manufacture of pigments and dyes, as well as in the production of synthetic fibres such as nylon.
Sulphuric acid is also used to remove oxidation, rust and scaling within the iron and steel making industry, as well as acting as a catalyst in the crude oil refining process.
A reaction between lead and sulphuric acid is what’s used to power large batteries for agricultural equipment, medical imagery equipment and motor car batteries.
Sulphuric acid has almost too many uses to mention, but its powerful corrosive qualities mean it is also a major ingredient in acidic drain cleaners used to remove grease, hair and tissue paper.
Looking for sulphuric acid for sale?
Wondering where to get sulphuric acid? Our experienced, knowledgeable team would be delighted to help.
Two of our most popular sulphuric acid strengths we supply include 96% and 77%, although we are able to provide a range of other custom strengths thanks to our on-site dilution plant. Choose from a range of pack sizes to suit your requirements — 25L, 200L, 1000L or bulk transfer. Our leading distribution network can reach you wherever you are in the UK.
Enquire below for a sulphuric acid MSDS or, alternatively, reach our expert team by phoning +44 (0)1535 637 87 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Airedale Chemical: trusted, experienced UK suppliers and distributors of bulk sulphuric acid.
- 96, 77, 35, 30, 28, 20 & custom
- CAS Number:
- EC Number:
- Other Names:
- Oil of vitriol
Available in the following sizes.