Sodium Hexametaphosphate (SHMP)Our sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) holds the formula Na6P6O18. An inorganic polyphosphate salt, it is commonly used as a food additive, water treatment chemical, deflocculant and tooth whitening agent.
We manufacture, supply and distribute SHMP to meet the requirements of many industries across the UK.
- Emulsifier: commonly used in canned milk, cheese powders, imitation cheese, roast beef, breakfast cereals, ice cream, packaged egg whites and more to maintain texture.
- Sequestrant: extends shelf life, enhances flavour and prevents turbidity in fruit juices and carbonated beverages.
- Stabiliser: can stabilise pigments in canned beans, vegetables and fruits.
- One use for SHMP is as a deflocculant in clay processing, and for preparing solutions for the production of ceramics.
Cleaning Chemicals & Detergents
- Water softening & detergents: sodium carbonate can be added to SHMP to raise its pH, which produces a number of water softening and detergent products.
- SHMP is a sequestrant that can inhibit corrosion, metal leaching and biofilm formation in pipes. It can chelate certain metal oxides.
- Personal care: used in toothpaste formulations as a tooth whitening agent for tartar and stain prevention, and as a chelating and masking agent in other cosmetic products.
We are leading UK manufacturers, suppliers and distributors of sodium hexametaphosphate
We manufacture sodium hexametaphosphate as a clear, colourless solution with no distinguishing odours. As a solid, it is a white powder with no distinguishing odour. SHMP holds the food additive E-number E452i.
To discuss your bulk SHMP requirements with our team, enquire today.
Sodium hexametaphosphate’s uses: for food, cosmetics, cleaning, water treatment & more
SHMP functions as an additive for texturising, emulsifying and thickening a range of foods: dairy products, seafood, canned foods, beverages and more.
In cosmetics and personal care, SHMP is also used as a tooth whitening agent in toothpastes and mouthwashes, as well as for water softening in bath salts.
It also holds application in water treatment for preventing corrosion, biofilm formation and the leaching of copper and lead. It is also used as a deflocculant in clay processing, some industrial cleaning solution formulas, as well as solutions for the production of ceramics.
Looking to buy bulk sodium hexametaphosphate? Enquire today
At Airedale Chemical, we have over five decades’ experience helping customers across the UK to meet their varied chemical needs securely and speedily.
We manufacture and supply SHMP either as a solid in 25kg bulk bags, or as a liquid solution in various sizes: 25L, 200L, 1000L or bulk transfer.
To discuss your SHMP needs with our team, click the ‘Enquire now’ button below to request an MSDS. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 01535 637876, or leave a message through our website contact page.
- CAS Number:
- EC Number:
- Other Names:
- SHMP, Calgon S, Glassy Sodium, Graham’s Salt, Hexasodium Metaphosphate, Metaphosphoric Acid, Hexasodium Salt
Available in the following sizes.