Phosphoric AcidPhosphoric acid (also known as orthophosphoric acid) is a widely-used chemical with applications across agriculture, water treatment, cleaning, and oil and gas.
We are a leading supplier and distributor of phosphoric acid, offering bulk pack sizes with fast UK delivery.
- Used in phosphate fertiliser production. Used to lower the pH of nutrient solutions in hydroponics systems.
Farm & Livestock
- Animal feed production: A source of phosphorus.
Cleaning Chemicals & Detergents
- A chelant in some household cleaners.
- A dispersing agent in detergents and leather treatment.
- A pH adjuster to improve the effectiveness of formulations.
- A cleaner by construction trades to remove mineral deposits, cementitious smears, and hard water stains.
Oil & Gas
- The electrolyte in phosphoric acid fuel cells.
- A catalyst in the hydration of alkenes to produce alcohols, predominantly ethanol.
- For controlling the pH of process waters and wastewater.
- For rust and corrosion prevention on equipment.
- Construction: Used as retardant in the manufacture of cement products.
The phosphoric acid we distribute is an 85% strength aqueous solution, holding the formula H3PO4 with a conjugate base of phosphate, PO3−4.
It is a colourless solution with no distinctive odour. We have the largest storage facility for this product in the UK, allowing us to provide secure, flexible and speedy distribution. To discuss your requirements, send a message to our product experts today.
Phosphoric acid’s uses: agrochemical, cleaning, water treatment & more
The term ‘phosphoric acid’ is often used to refer to a chemical or reagent consisting of phosphoric acids — examples include pyrophosphoric acid, triphosphoric acid, but most often orthophosphoric acid.
Due to its wide-ranging applicability, the needs of clients looking to buy phosphoric acid can be varied and diverse.
Some of the chemical’s most common uses include as a component of fertilisers, soaps, detergents and household cleaning products. It’s also very widely used in water treatment, anti-rust treatments as well as a reagent or intermediate in a number of other processes.
- Fertilisers: The primary use for phosphoric acids, accounting for the vast majority of production. It is converted into phosphate salts which are used to produce fertilisers, the two most common being monoammonium phosphate (MAP) and diammonium phosphate (DAP). While other types of acids can be used, phosphorus is a nutrient used by plants, especially during flowering, making it particularly desirable.
- Cleaners: Used in a number of household and industrial detergents. It has the ability to dissolve and chelate metal ions as well as adjust the pH of detergent solutions, improving their effectiveness. It is commonly used for removing rust and mineral deposits from metal surfaces, making it suitable for cleaning of industrial equipment like dairy tanks, boiler tubes and cooling towers.
- Water treatment: Used to adjust the pH of alkaline process waters and wastewater, neutralising bacteria and contaminants. It can also be used to remove rust and corrosion from pipelines and other equipment.
- Animal feeds: Used in the production of feeds like monocalcium phosphate and dicalcium phosphate, a source of phosphorus for animal growth and development.
Looking to buy bulk phosphoric acid?
At Airedale Group, we’re able to facilitate orders of any size, including, with quick, secure delivery courtesy of our dedicated fleet. As a concentrated acid, the 85% solution we supply can be corrosive, although non-toxic when diluted.
With our dedicated fleet, we are perfectly placed to facilitate orders of any size quickly and securely, including 25L, 200L, 1000L and bulk transfer.
Trust our award-winning team’s 50 years’ experience supplying chemicals to customers across all industries.
Press the ‘Enquire now’ button below to request a phosphoric acid MSDS. You can also start your enquiry through our website contact page or by phoning 01535 637 876.
- CAS Number:
- EC Number:
- Other names:
- Orthophosphoric acid; trihydroxylphosphine oxide
- Multiple strengths
Available in the following sizes.