Caustic SodaA highly reactive and incredibly versatile alkali with wide-ranging industrial applications, caustic soda holds the chemical formula NaOH. We supply liquid caustic soda throughout the UK in pack sizes ranging from 25L to bulk transfer to suit your needs.
Cleaning Chemicals & Detergents
An industrial cleaning agent where it is often called 'caustic'. A common use in the production of parts washer detergents.
Used in demanding cleaning applications — breweries, bakeries and other food processing environments.
Oil & Gas
Used within the petroleum industry for products refining.
Used within food and beverage production — washing or chemical peeling of fruits and vegetables; chocolate and cocoa processing; caramel colouring production; poultry scalding; soft drink processing; thickening ice cream.
Also used for degreasing and treatment of packaging in food industry — dairy plants, fat-and-oil plants, liquor enterprises, tobacco plants.
Used as an additive in drilling mud to increase alkalinity in bentonite mud system.
Used as an esterification and trans esterification reagent — traditionally used in soap making (cold process soap, saponification).
Used for chemical pulping — widely used in pulping of wood for making paper or regenerated fibres.
Used for dissolving amphoteric metals and compounds
This chemical is a powerful means for pH adjustment, neutralising water streams and contributing to reducing corrosion.
Caustic soda takes its name from its corrosive, caustic nature and its chemical identity as sodium hydrate. This product is available as a clear solution with no distinguishing odour.
Caustic soda’s uses: cleaning, water treatment, pulp & paper, oil & gas, food & more
This product has wide-ranging applications across many industries. It is used as a chemical base for the production of pulp and paper, in the textile industry, for soap making, for water treatment, pH control and much more.
Caustic soda is the basic feedstock in the manufacture of a range of chemicals, particularly as an intermediate and reactant in the production of solvents. It is also commonly used as a drain cleaner, for starch production, as well as for desulphurisation in the petrochemical industry.
- Cleaning and detergency: Used as an industrial cleaning agent, also common in the production of parts washer detergents. It is also used for saponification in soap production.
- Water treatment & purification: Used for pH level adjustment, reducing corrosion and neutralising water streams
- Oil & gas: Used in the refining process of petroleum products
- Paper production: Used for pulping wood to manufacture paper or regenerative fibres
- Food & beverage: For degreasing and treating packaging, cocoa processing, caramel colouring as well as chemical peeling of fruit and vegetables
- Drilling fluid: Used as an additive in drilling mud to increase alkalinity
- Agriculture: For pH control and effluent treatment
- Pharmaceutical: For the production of intermediates and the treatment of effluent
Airedale Chemical: leading suppliers & distributors of liquid caustic soda in the UK
From a 25L to 200L drum, or a 1000L IBC or bulk transfer, we’re able to facilitate technical grade caustic soda orders of any size. With leading distribution capabilities, we can reach you quickly, reliably and efficiently, wherever you are in the UK.
For more information, download our
- CAS Number:
Available in the following sizes.