Acetic AcidAcetic acid refers to a crude organic compound with the chemical formula CH₃COOH. An astringent and antimicrobial agent, the acid is clear in colour and known for its strong, vinegar-like scent. Classified as a weak acid, it can be corrosive in a concentrated form. We are a leading acetic acid supplier and distributor.
Cleaning Chemicals & Detergents
In its diluted state holds various applications within household detergents including descaling agents
Oil & Gas
Used as a solvent for various other chemical reactions
Is widely used as a preservative – the process recognised as being ‘pickling’ and commonly used in vinegar
Diluted Acetic Acid is used in Physical Therapy
Acetic Acid is increasingly used as a de-icing agent for airport runways.
Often used as a solvent commonly in the manufacture of rubber, plastics, acetate fibres, pharmaceuticals, perfumes and photographic chemicals.
One of its largest uses is the production of Vinyl Acetate monomer
Sometimes known as ethanoic acid, acetic acid has wide-ranging roles in cleaning and paint production to food preservation and crop management.
We supply acetic acid in a range of strengths and sizes to meet your requirements, manufactured by our principles to the highest quality standards.
Get in touch with our team today to request an acetic acid MSDS and begin your enquiry.
Airedale Chemical: your leading acetic acid UK supplier & distributor
Acetic acid is an astringent that can be produced naturally via bacterial fermentation, or synthetically by reacting methanol with carbon monoxide — known as carbonylation.
The latter method accounts for the vast majority of the acid used by industry today, but the natural route still plays an important role in products for human consumption.
As industry-leading acetic acid suppliers in the UK, we can facilitate a range of order sizes and packaging options, including 25L, 200L and 1000L, as well as bulk acetic acid transfer.
At our fully-equipped facilities, we can supply this product in strengths including 40%, 60%, 80% and glacial acetic acid (100%).
With a dedicated fleet of vehicles covering the UK, Ireland and the EU, we’re a trusted, reliable acetic acid distributor.
Acetic acid’s uses: a versatile, dynamic compound
The global market for acetic acid is forecast to continue to grow annually, testament to its versatility and wide-ranging applicability.
From cleaning chemicals to photography, industrial adhesives to paints and food to agriculture, it has many industrial and household uses.
- VAM: Accounting for approximately 35.5% of global use, acetic acid is a key building block in the production process of vinyl acetate monomer (VAM), a compound used to create paints, adhesives and more. A chemical reagent, acetic acid is also a primary component in the manufacture of peracetic acid.
- Food: It’s a key component of household vinegar (at 4-18% concentrations) alongside water. In higher concentrations, it is used in the pickling process. Acetic acid is also an E number — E260, specifically — used to add flavour and regulate acidity.
- Photography, eye glasses & more: Acetic acid is used when creating cellulose acetate, a bioplastic for photography film bases, glasses frames, playing cards, packaging, cigarette filters and more.
- A preservative: Acetic acid inhibits bacterial growth, useful for food preservation but also as a general preservative — Soviet icon Vladimir Lenin’s body is embalmed in a mixture containing acetic acid.
- An eco-friendly antimicrobial: A biodegradable organic compound, acetic acid represents an ‘green’ alternative when diluted in household cleaning products and detergents — for floor and window cleaning, eliminating mold, rust removal and when descaling limescale. In small dilutions (1%) it can act as an antiseptic, helping cleanse wounds and prevent infection.
- Herbicides & pesticides: Acetic acid is less corrosive than other inorganic acids and is popular in agriculture as a biodegradable, more eco-conscious weed killer.
If you’re wondering where to buy acetic acid, look no further than Airedale Chemical. We’re a leading chemical specialist of over 45 years and acetic acid supplier.
To request an acetic acid MSDS, phone 01535 637876, email firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch through our enquiry page.
- CAS Number::
- EC Number::
- 40%, 60%, 80%, Glacial
Available in the following sizes.